Tuesday, December 19, 2006

I am invisible

If I close my eyes, and you close yours... And I tell you that I am now invisible... have I become invisible?
I am a theatre person, I specialize in creating a place of illusion. I help people suspend their disbelief's so that they can believe the tales that are unwinding before them. But, when the illusion fails them, everything falls apart. Suddenly, they forget the the evil witch really is flying, and they remember that the wires that the tech crew spent so much time hiding are really there. When the audience knows it is not real... I have failed.
This is not just true in theatre. It is true in so many other parts of life. The mind is a very powerful thing, people die on the operating table because they are convinced they are not going to make it. People survive with nails in their heads because they never knew they were there. If you neglect the reality, you can affect the way the masses react to the situation you have arrange for them. Think, 100 years ago, the idea of a device knowing that 1+1=2 was not even considered. But now, we have supercomputers. When the limits are ignored (ignored, not tested.) they are surpassed. People who believe they can lifts cars, because they have to do it, are suddenly able. All the world of physics against them, but they still prevail.
It is a beautiful thing, to feel that you can do the "impossible". And in order to have it work, you really have to believe.
So, I am asking you again...
If we both close our eyes really tight, and we concentrate really hard, and we convince ourselves so much that we know it is real-- have I become invisible?