Monday, August 10, 2009

acceptance and tolerance are fading

I am actually a pretty tolerant person, am even an accepting person. Tolerance means allowing something you disagree with to go on. Acceptance means agreeing with it enough to not feel ill of it. I disagree strongly with Lowe's Home Improvement stores putting Spanish text on signs with English subtitles. It is stating that Spanish is the main language of Lowe's. My ex, D****e, used to work at Lowe's; he has seen plenty of illegal immigrants (Way Up in OHIO!!). My sister-in-law's family has had many a debate over this, as they are natively from South America.

My sister in law's words:
"Both my mom and aunt are Spanish Interpreters for the City of Columbus. It is interesting, my aunt has said she spends many days out of the week at the Dept of Health and Human services interpreting Spanish for many Mexican women for welfare and food stamps. My aunt has said, she feels horrible, she tells me she tries to convince these ladies that to live here, there are free classes to learn English and ways to have a job. My aunt told me, they pass on to family members living in Mexico to come to certain cities, have a baby and then they will receive "free things". "

I crack the occasional joke about me being a terrible racist (really, I feel that people who white wash over racial differences need to step back from their soap boxes for a moment.) but I am really a very tolerant person, I don't commit hate crimes, I don't instigate conflict, I don't do anything... but I do judge in the privacy of my own home and personal life. i have to swim through paperwork to go to college, I have to file insurance forms so that I only have to pay 2/3 of the bill for my medical care (sometimes I think it isn't worth the paperwork.), I have to go through the trouble of paying for a stamp to put on my draft card.

I have a right to complain about people who are abusing this system, people who reap the benefits but don't pay the toll. And all this talk about, "Your ancestors were immigrants, too": They went through the right channels to get into this country. I like diversity... I am gay, I like celebrating for no reason (so bring on any cultural festival, anytime of the year, I am there.) but do it right; file your paperwork, get a job, get your citizenship.

Moral:Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist.