Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Back burner


I am in charge of a theater group. I picked it up as a... not a hobby, but I did not plan on fully devoting myself to it. It is a community that doesn't really support my decisions and is full of underachievers. I know that is harsh, but it is true. They would not have gotten nearly this far without me. I know that sounds cocky, infact; it is. I am cocky. I created the theater group, fully intending to hand it off to someone else when it took flight. So far... nobody has proven good enough.
Now, I also have my own company. Pure Illumination Lighting is my real baby. THAT is what I truly am devoted to. I love it, much more than a community theater in an area that I don't even live where every decision is question and all my efforts are slowed by those who surround me. In my company, I am final decision, nobody can counter me. I can do whatever I want.

I am just frustrated. I want both to succeed, really. But I can't support the weight of both. As PI grows, like it has been, I am not going to be able to do both. Yes, it is unfair to the theater group, but they are not trying nearly as hard as I am. I feel that i am not exaggerating in saying that I put more of my time and money (gas isn't cheap and I live 25 miles away) into it than all of the others. I am followed closely by another, but she also doesn't live in the community. We were asked recently by a member of the arts council if the area even wants us to be there. I am starting to doubt it.

Moral: a man cannot have two masters nor two true loves. He may love both, but one will triumph over the other. He must realize this and put his efforts accordingly.