Sunday, March 30, 2008

transsexual


I saw a pre-op come into my store today, I waited on her. That is what she is, a her. Sexual identity and sexual orientation are two different things. There is a stereotype of gay men becoming women. That is not true. Many women also go through the procedure. They are just less noticed. It is not uncommon for a girl to put on boy's clothes, but somehow it is degrading for a man to put on a woman's outfit.
There is a short passage called "Skins" about this subject. I wish I could recall the source. It states that one person should be able to put on the skin of another. It makes little sense at some points, but that is the basic concept. It is not until you see this for yourself that you can understand. There is nothing wrong, well, nothing that concerns you or I. A person on the outside should not judge.
Now, the way that the meeting went was uneventful. I used no gender specific things, such as sir or ma'am. I simply was myself, and made no comments. I knew at the first moment that a word was uttered, but I wasn't sure until I saw the hands at the register. She paid in cash, almost a dead giveaway...