Sunday, November 21, 2010

Angel Oak

About a month ago I went to Charleston, South Carolina. Now, in the general vicinity there is a very old and large tree. Every once in a while, genetics fuck up during cell reproduction and create a new genetic allele. Most times these mutations don't do much of anything, but other times they have massive results; like a single tree that covers nearly half an acre of land and is still growing after 1400 years. While there another member of the production crew (I was there on business) picked up an acorn as a souvenir. I did the same, but I decided to plant mine when I got back. Now, more than a month later it is sprouting. There is only a small chance that it will contain the same genetics as the angel oak tree, because oak trees pollinate with other oaks rather than with themselves and a lot of mutations are ironed out during reproduction. But here is hoping!