Tuesday, May 26, 2009

never mind

I just found out the worst thing I can say to a deaf guy... and it isn't about them being deaf. It is "never mind". I didn't even have to think about why it is so unfair to say, I figured it out just after i said it. It is completely taking them out of the conversation, and it is like saying, "I don't care enough to reword it". Basically, it discounts them. And in a conversation of two people... it is the end of the conversation.
I made a quick mistake. Now i know. And, even better, I understand.
I have/ had ADD. So I missed stuff sometimes too, and I was told "never mind" a few times. It sucks and makes you feel so alone, and kind of stupid. That is not a good thing. But if the person explains it you usually realize that you understand it more than you know, and it is kind of strange that you were confused initially.

moral: even if someone is completely "Hearing", you still hurt feelings by saying, "never mind."