Friday, December 27, 2013

Coming out


A funny thing about coming out is that it isn't like you just do it once.  You come out every day, to new people.  When I came out, it wasn't too bad the first 5 or 6 times; those times were to my family.  But after that I got kinda sick of it.  I realized something; I knew I was gay, but they didn't all.  The experience of telling people wasn't hard or painful, but there were times that were more difficult than others.  However, that is not the point of this post.  I am talking about the fact that I was assumed straight until proven gay.
In preparation for this post I contacted a few straight guys and said things about how honorable it is of them to be out and proud, and that they are part of a rich history  of Gay.  I got 3 responses, 1.) "I like vagina, dude" 2.) a string of profanity 3.) "I'm not gay".  That was all I got.  Every day I have to pretend to be straight, and it can sometimes be a little much.  Why s it that it is so difficult to not assume things about people?  Why do gay people have to come out at all?  Why does it matter?

Moral:  Stop thinking that everyone is straight.
Moral #2: It gets easier every time I come out.  Soon it will be just as easy to come out as it is to remain silent.