Tuesday, October 22, 2013

An enemy

Oh look! I've made an enemy in the lighting world!   Or moreso,  he's made an enemy out of me... but I guess it's better that we got this figured out before I showed him any of my designs. I got what I needed from him: a benchmark.  I know what I'm up against in NYC.  And I've realized that I might not use the same tools as everyone else, but that isn't a weakness of my company.   I use a different approach than most, which allows me to solve problems differently.  Its gotten me a few awards so far, and it keeps my trouble shooting skills honed.  I guess what I'm saying is: it allows me to invent new systems,  not just regurgitate what the other designers are already doing.  So in a way, I'm glad I don't have everything the other guys do: else I would never have invented my circuit movers, inline dimmer packs, or all the LED fixtures.
I know what I must do next; create a chandelier and finish my "Feeling Good Feelings" design.  I have sought the advice of graphic designers,  IT systems guys, event planners, and many other professionals in related fields.  My differences make my designs individual.